This light chocolate cake with mixed-nut frosting is the right type of treat to kick of the year with. Perfectly rich and delicious bake that can be portioned in bars for an easy to reach treat when needed. The cake itself is moist and delicate. Slattered with a creamy frosting made from a combination of nuts for a luscious finish together with fresh banana slices. It’s almost like eating a banoffee pie but it’s a chocolate cake that is just as rich but lighter.
Store-bought peanut butter does not come close to homemade nut butter. You know exactly what is going into your food. No additives and preservatives. Additionally, you are. not limited to just one type of nut, or what’s available in store. You get to create the type of nutty delicious butter that is just right for you. Once you make your own nut butter, you will use it for almost everything. As a snack of its own and as a topping on almost every dessert and snack.
How to make homemade mixed nuts butter
Take equal parts roasted walnuts and almonds. Then take some roasted peanuts in half the amounts of walnuts and almonds. Take the same amount of melted coconut oil (the same amount as peanuts). Place in a blender or food processor and blitz into a paste. Store the mixed nuts butter in a jar to use as you please. Ready to be used in thischocolate cake with mixed-nut frosting and many other desserts.
Here’s a quick recipe for the mixed nuts butter:
- 1/2 cup walnuts
- 1/2 cup almonds
- 1/4 cup peanuts
- 1/4 cup coconut oil
Blitz in a food processor and store in a jar.
Here are some other delicious desserts to try:
- Plantain Pancakes with Honey caramelised walnuts
- Chin-Chin: Nigerian Fried Cookies (2 ways)
- Easy Valentines Day Dessert Spread – Sweet grazing board
Light chocolate sponge cake with mixed nut frosting and banana slices
For the chocolate sponge cake:
- 100 g dark chocolate
- 50 g butter
- 1 egg
- ½ cup flour
- ¼ cup sugar
- ¼ cacao powder
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 ½ tsp bicarbonate of soda
- ¼ cup water (hot)
For the icing:
- ½ cup mixed nut butter
- ¼ cup icing sugar
- 300 g mascarpone cheese cold
- 1 banana
- A small piece of dark chocolate bar
Make the chocolate sponge cake
- Pre-heat oven to 180 degrees and grease a 9″ x 12″ rectangle baking dish with coconut oil.
- Mix the dry ingredients together in a separate bowl (flour, cacao powder, sugar baking powder and baking soda.
- Chop the chocolate into a heat-proof bowl, add the butter and place in the microwave for 15 seconds intervals and stir until melted. Once melted (but not hot), whisk in the egg.
- Pour the wet mixture into the dry mixture, then whisk it all together. Immediately add the hot water and mix very well, then pour the batter into the prepared dish.
- Place in the preheated oven and bake for 45 to 50 minutes or until a skewer inserted comes out clean. Set aside to cool.
Make the mixed nut frosting:
- Put the mixed nuts butter, icing sugar and mascarpone cream in a food processor/blender and blitz until smooth.
- Pour this mixture over the brownies that should have cooled down and spread it over the top with a spatula.
- Slice the banana and place one slice at a time all over the icing. Then finish by grating a small piece of dark chocolate all over.
- Freeze for two hours and using a bread knife, slice into the brownie to make square bars. serve cold.