These Curry Chicken wings are delicious and a fun fusion of several cuisines. The recipe incorporates a lot of my favourites ingredients, some of which are staples in many international cuisines. The succulent chicken wings are served with Polenta (Cornmeal) which is very common in Italy and a huge staple in Nigeria (“swallow” and more). The pineapples bring a mild tang with a combination of sweet and savoury. With more sweetness and vibrancy from Pumpkin (Squash). Fun fact: I grew up knowing pumpkins as Éto in Nigeria, grandma would roast them, we’d scoop and eat. Obviously also very common in the western world and beyond.
When most people think of Curry they think mostly of Asian countries, especially India. However, curry spice blends are used in many dishes in Nigeria and there are vast varieties of Curry sauces in the northern part of Nigeria (with which I am yet to familiarise myself); Also there is the West-Indies, such as Jamaican Curries, which I must admit is one of my favourites.
The mixture of spices I used is very similar to that of the Indian Masala, a spice mix common in most parts of South Asia. However, many local regions of the world create very similar spice mixtures. I bought most of these spices whole and blended them myself, just in case you don’t find them in powdered form. The combination of the spices with the sweetness of the pineapples and pumpkin is simply tasty. Resulting in juicy, well seasoned, ‘slurp right off the bones’ chicken wings.
If you like this recipe you might also like Oven grilled peri-peri turkey drumsticks.
Pumpkin and Pineapple Curry Chicken Wings
- 500 g Chicken Wings Cut in 2 pieces
- 1 Large Onions Sliced
- 1 Garlic Glove Finely Chopped/Minced
- 1 thumb size Ginger Finely Chopped/Minced
- 180 g Chopped Pineapples
- 200 g Frozen Pumpkin Cubes
- 1 tsp Cumin Powder
- 1 tsp Cardamom Powder
- 1 tsp Fennel Seeds grind/blend
- 1 tsp Turmeric Powder
- 1 tsp Curry Powder
- 1 tsp Coriander grind/blend
- 1 tsp Whole Cloves grind/blend
- 1 tsp Chilli Powder
- 1 tsp Salt
- ¼ Cup Sunflower Oil
- 1 tbsp Balsamic Vinegar
- 1 tbsp Worcester Sauce
- Place the chicken wings in a bowl and toss in all the powder spices. Rub in with your hands, coating each wing. Marinade for 30 minutes to 1 hour (this is optional, but the longer the wings marinades the flavourful they get).
- Place a large pan over high to medium heat and pour in the sunflower oil.
- Shallow fry the wings in the hot oil until charred on both sides.
- Toss in the onions, garlic and ginger, reduce heat to medium and stir/fry until the onions are soft and transparent.
- Pour in the balsamic vinegar and Worcester sauce, then toss in the pineapples and pumpkin; stir and cover with a lid.
- Simmer on low heat for 15 minutes (don't worry about adding water as the chicken produces its own juice).
- Remove from heat and serve hot.