I was led me to make this delicious vegetarian curry lentils after I recently developed an appreciation for plant-based meals. Lentils are not frequent in my diet, but when I do cook with them, it is usually in a curry. Most people say vegetarian meals lack the flavour and richness of say a curry with beef or chicken. So I decided to incorporate some fresh herbs into this meal, I choose sage for its strong aromatic and slightly bitter flavour. Sage is also one of a few herbs that can withstand long cooking without losing its aroma. Combined with the richness of the yogurt and various spices, this dish was pleasing both in smell and in taste. This vegetarian curry lentil goes well with rice, potatoes or bread, I served mine with some freshly made flatbread and it was delicious.
Here’s the recipe:
Sage & Yogurt Vegetarian Curry Lentils
- 1 cup split red lentils washed
- 1 red onion (Chopped)
- 1 garlic clove (Minced/Finely chopped)
- 1 thumb size ginger (Minced/Finely chopped)
- 7 leafs of fresh sage (1 branch, chopped)
- 1 Bay leaf
- 1 tsp curry powder
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp cumin powder
- 1 tsp chilli powder
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 cup plain yoghurt
- 1/4 cup tomato puree
- 1 cup vegetable stock
- Place a deep pan over medium-high heat, add oil and toss in the ginger, garlic and onions.
- Add all the spices (curry, cumin, turmeric, chilli, coriander) and stir.
- Pour in the tomatoes, yogurt, lentils and water. Stir and season with salt.
- Toss in the sage leafs and bay leaf, cover with a lid and let it simmer on medium heat for 20 to 25 minutes or until the lentils are soft.
- Remove from heat, let it seat for 5 minutes, then serve.