Who says Valentine’s Day is not worth celebrating? Single or taken you can treat yourself or someone special to this classic but fun easy Valentines Day dessert spread. There are no rules, just pick up some of your favourites treats and pair them with great wines because we all deserve the best.
Firstly, any day is a good day to enjoy the simple things in life. Luckily we have amongst many festive holidays in the year such as Christmas and Easter, we also have a day out of the 365 to spread some more love. This Easy Valentines Day Dessert Spread, platter or board (whatever you’d like to call it) is perfect for food lovers. It’s perfect for the acclaimed ‘food is my love language’. It’s perfect for “DIY’ers”.
Putting the spread together:
Putting this spread together is quite easy and straightforward. All you need are some of your favourite snacks, fruits and/or desserts that you can buy from the store. I went for some lovely mix of treats that I love but typically would not eat every day. My platter has two classic Italian biscuits. The Italian almond biscuits (Biscotti/Cantucci) and an Italian butter cookie twist (Torcetti al burro). Additionally, I laid out a choice of chocolate bars, the classic dark and milk chocolate bars; and a Hazelnut dark chocolate bar. Speaking of chocolate I came across some swiss chocolate coated meringue with hazelnut cream at the supermarket. It added a decadent touch to this platter. Amongst these were my red fruit of choice, being strawberries and red currant. This Easy Valentines Day Dessert Spread was paired with two great wines from Varvaglione 1921. A winery from Puglia, in the south of Italy. A sweet red named “CHICCA” made form dark Italian grapes (Primitivo di Manduria DN DOCG). A sparkling rose wine (Spumante Brut Rosé).
Sidenote: Measurements are not given in this recipe because it’s all about personal preference and there are no rules. Just have fun and enjoy!
Easy Valentines Day Dessert Spread
- 100 g Strawberries
- 150 g Biscotti (Italian almond biscuits)
- a handful of Peanuts (or any nut of choice)
- 100 g Dark chocolate bar
- 100 g Milk chocolate bar
- 100 g Hazelnut dark chocolate bar
- 50 g Swiss chocolate coated meringue with hazelnut cream filling
- 4 pcs Torcetti al burro (Italian butter twist cookies)
- 125 g Red currant
- Wash, clean and dry the fruits. You can cut a couple of the strawberries into halves.
- Get a clean tray, board, large plate or platter.
- Remove the biscuits, and chocolate bars from their packs.
- Pour the peanuts (or any choice of nuts) in a small bowl.
- Place the fruits, snacks and chocolate bars on the clean platter one after the other and arrange it all in the order that best suits you.
- Add the bowl of peanuts to the platter.
- You can shuffle things around to make it as aesthetically pleasing as you see fit. (Watch the attached video for inspiration)